Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hello 2011!

First, running :) 2011 is off to a great running start thanks to my beloved sneakers (still need a name for my new sneakers...)! I got in a 2.5mi run yesterday and 3mi run today. Both were first thing in the morning on my treadmill and I wish I would have waited for the afternoon because it is another 50-something degree day! I don't want to know where this beautiful weather is coming from, but I hope it will stay. Cold weather and I don't get along. My body aches, it hurts to breathe, and the gloomy days are so depressing. I've never been to Arizona, but I think I may have lived there in a previous life because from what I've heard about Arizona, it has my ideal weather.

So, I'm doing that thing again where I set some crazy goal so that I don't have to think about what's happening in my life. The goal is a half-marathon on April 2nd and the "thing" I'm trying to avoid is that January marks a year of trying to have a second baby, which means I go in for "testing" in a couple of weeks. I'm sorry for the heavy topic on a Sunday, but one of my goals for this blog is to put sh*t out there in hopes of working through my issues. I get into the same cycle, "must have a second baby" thoughts enter my mind and I haven't yet really thought about whether or not I want to have a second (it's everyone going "you know, it's not fair to your son if you don't give him a sibling"). Even in the year of trying without success, I still just focus on the "must" and not think about the "want". Much of my worry about having another one is finances (I've posted before about growing up poor and I don't want the same for my child (or children)). I keep thinking that if we lived in a less-expensive state, finances would be better, but as they say "the grass is always greener," right? So... for now, we'll see what the "lady doctor" has to say and try to relax and not stress. My heart aches for all the women (and couples) out there who have fertility problems, including one of my very good friends. She believes there's a epidemic with all the fertility problems. I did some Googling (hate/love all the information out there). Did you know there is something called "Second-time Infertility? It is when a woman has a child and then cannot have anymore because of sudden infertility. And did you know that Johnson & Johnson baby soap has been linked to infertility in males because it increases levels of estrogen? AND did you know that Soy increased levels of estrogen and that messes with fertility, too? CRAZY!!!

Okay, back to running... the half-marathon is on April 2, 2011. I haven't run a half-marathon (or more than 3 miles) since my first half (April 2007). So, as you see, a bit crazy since I am not in half-marathon shape. Nonetheless, April gives me time to get there. The half is in NYC - love the City! Anyone have their eye on that half and planning to run?

Thanks for letting me vent and I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. how rude of people to say its not fair to not give your child a sibling!! Sometimes I really wonder what the Hell people think they accomplish by being assholes.

    If you really want one, go for it, but if not, then I wouldn't stress. Then again thats from someone who would right now MUCH rather train for races than have babies haha

    Good luck with starting your training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fertility issues really are very painful and perplexing, aren't they? As to the fairness/unfairness to your current little one: life isn't fair, is it? If you try to have another child, especially with fertility treatments, you take away time and resources that could be devoted to your current child with no guarantee of success. If you don't, your child will be an only child. The guilt mongers will make this a situation that you can't win, if you let them.

    But let me just say, that being an only child is not the end of the world, nor is having a sibling that takes a disproportionate share of parental time/resources. So, if it were me, I think I might see the doctor and then try to figure out what we (as a family) wanted and ignore what anyone said I "should" do. And, of course, completely ignore all of this if you want to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Stephanie and Terri for your comments! I really do need to get a handle on myself and family. My husband and I consider ourselves the luckiest people on the earth because we were blessed with the most amazing little boy (I say this with all the parent bias imaginable). Stephanie, you made me spit out my water with the asshole line! Yes, I will think of them from now on as assholes! Terri, can we figure out a way to kill the guilt monger?

    ReplyDelete